Allison M. Shapira

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Networking

When I was a waitress in FL, it was my job to smile at people. Whether they were sitting in my section or not, whether they would tip me or not, I was responsible for saying hi and making sure they felt welcome. Even now when I hold events through work or greet people at Toastmasters, I make sure to smile and welcome everyone there.

Actually, it's a rather empowering feeling - to know that you have a right to speak to any person in a room. It gives you confidence and makes you feel at ease.

Lately, with holiday parties around every corner, we are provided with the perfect networking situation: professional events with food and/alcohol where we can meet interesting and relevant people.

The key to overcoming shyness is to act like you are working at the event. Imagine the host has asked you to greet every single person who enters the room. Doesn't that empower you to meet people? Doesn't it give you the confidence to smile and introduce yourself to everyone?

Networking is a form of selling yourself, and nothing sells more than confidence.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's a great tip!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home