Allison M. Shapira

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Graduate School

I've recently decided to get a master's degree and have been debating my options. Given that my current job is part-time and offers tuition reimbursement, it really seems like this is the optimal time to study. I'm willing to put my consulting work on hold, since whatever I study will help me significantly increase my offerings as a consultant.

I've been debating between two choices: an MBA or a master's in Communications Management.

The argument boils down to general vs. specific - do I want a general degree that will give me a set of tools that will be relevant in any sector, public, private or non-profit, or do I want a degree that allows me to specialize in my field, communication, with additional management training? This specialized degree is still relevant across industries since communications skills themselves are necessary everywhere. And whatever industry I work in, I'd still like to deal with communications.

I can fully rationalize both decisions, and I've been flip-flopping back and forth, depending on the day. I was registered for Boston University's Graduate School of Management and even sent in a deposit before realizing that the program would take longer than I anticipated. I took some time off to think and decided to take courses in communications management first, at Simmons College.

My first class was underwhelming, to say the least, which has led me to greatly rethink my decision. But I am willing to give it another shot, given that one course in one elective is not an optimal indicator of how the course (or school) really is.

Let's see how it happens. I intend to blog through this process for those in the field of communications who are considering such a move - and to discuss what I learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home