Allison M. Shapira

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Mom's new blog

My mother Betty just started a new blog tonight. As she states in her first post:

"Hi ..this is my first attempt to blog (whatever that means). "

I'm really proud of the way she has been embracing technology over the past few years. Not only has she started sending emails to me, but she shares pictures and now her diary online. Regardless of whether or not she understands the technology or its myriad implications (like blogging), she nevertheless has taken it up as something new and fun to try.

In her early 60's, she is the ideal "mover and shaker", always willing to try something new and exciting, because you only live once. She has tried numerous business endeavors over the years, some have worked well and some less, but all have had a positive effect on her and on the entire family. She allows herself to learn from every experience.

You may have read my previous post about my father and his dental practice - it's important to know that my mother and her adventurous philosophy have played a similarly critical role in my development, serving as a necessary balance to my father's practicality and wisdom.

While my father was teaching me the value of staying up-to-date on the news or on the latest books in my various fields of interest (and amazing me by his capacity to absorb and retain information), my mother was always reminding me that I could do anything that I wanted, no matter how crazy, as long as I believed in myself (she proved this by doing everything she wanted to do before my eyes). In the end, those two philosphies merged to form the powerful sense of empowerment that I try to maintain every day, and will be two essential ideals that I pass along to my chidren.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home