Allison M. Shapira

Friday, November 25, 2005

Poor Cabbie

During my $50 cab ride from Tampa airport to my brother Scott's house, the Haitian cabbie proceeded to educate me about current Haitian music by blasting some fun and upbeat music from the latest local music festival.

As we neared my brother's house, he off-handedly asked me if I could bring him out some turkey, as it would be the only Thanksgiving dinner he would have that night. I kind of joked and said "You're not having any Turkey dinner?!"

When he dropped me off, there was kind of an awkward silence during which he was probably waiting for me to say something about the turkey and I was pretending to have forgotten. When I finally said "Happy Thanksgiving" and turned inside, I felt ashamed for having not brought him anything. It would have been awkward, but it would have been the right thing to do. I thought about it all during dinner and afterward.

Although the lessons we learn from every such incident will certainly make us better people, there is always that lingering regret for not having got it right the first time.

I'm sorry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

;( Yeah, it would have been nice to bring him something. Usually there's a ton of Turkey leftovers anyways: this would have been a mitzvah. Next time we take a cab on Thanksgiving, let's remember to do it.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home